Welcome to the Observation Blog

This is The Observation Blog. It is the window on the internet into the world of me, Jimmi Cottam. From the bizarre and strange to the true and delightful, here lies stuff that goes on around me. And this is my chance to get my opinion out there because anyone can write a blog and put it up on the internet. You could say this is what I do when I get bored but in some ways...wait, yeah. It is. But seriously, what are you waiting for? Go ahead and have a goosey...I'm not stopping you from seeing the broad spectrum of what an "ordinary" person sees and goes through day in and day out. Have fun and enjoy!

Friday 5 March 2010

Driving - The Day Before

At this time, I'm feeling quite excited. Not only is it my 18th Birthday this coming week and a lot of parties are coming up, but tomorrow I set to do something I've been waiting to do for quite a while. Go out for a drive!
Well, to be honest, it's just a first driving lesson, but still. I've enjoyed cars for as long as I can remember. There was never a moment where there wasn't a Ferrari F40 out of reach; or a Porsche 959 close or even a Bugatti Veyron just there. Yes, obviously, I'm on about the wonderful world of Matchbox and Hot Wheels. Cars are up there with my all time favourite things, so I'm feeling rather excited about tomorrow. I'm not nervous but I'm not feeling cocky either. I'm not having the same attitude as some people, where they expect to pass their test first time round. That sort of cockiness costs because I think the more over confident you are, the least likely you're going to pass. You then become even more disappointed when you don't and then you get more frustrated, try even harder for the next test and so on and so forth. Not everyone is like that, but I bet you know someone who is or was.
Although, I literally cannot wait. I have already had some experience behind the wheel of various vehicles. Go karts and ride on lawn mowers. Bit of a far cry from 'car' but it's the best I could do, especially when it's sort of illegal to drive under the age. And besides, we all know where Jenson Button, Lewis Hamilton and other F1 drivers started. No, not cutting grass...in go karts! And I just happen to be a fantastic karter. Nope? Oh well...because I know for a fact that that little 4 stroke petrol engine is no match to the internal combustion machine inside a horseless carriage. For a start, a kart has the engine in the back and test cars happen be front engine runabouts, so that's where the comparison ends, there is no use in carrying on with this bit. I also understand it's not all about the driving, it's the road craft and how you read the road and situations around you whilst driving. AND, I know for a fact, I won't become one of them over pretentious kids who pass their test and mummy and daddy buy them a car for doing such a good job and for being fantastic and pay for their insurance and their petrol and put mints on their pillows at night and live in mansions and have butlers called Watson and eat caviar for breakfast. Y'know, the ones up their own backsides. I do however respect those who pass their test, buy their own car (or the other way around), compare the market (or meerkat, depending on how easily you lose attention) and pay for repairs and all all by themselves. The ones who aren't drama students, I take my hat off to you guys who, with your skills, I would most like to become like you when I'm older and more learned. Thank you for showing me the way. It also sets you up in life, when Mummy, Daddy and Watson won't be there to tend for you and your huge Audi A4. Guy's with the Fiat Cinquecento's, the Citröen Saxo's and the Ford Fiesta's, I'm with you on this.
So, as with tomorrow, all I'll have to say is 'Good luck Jimmi. It's nothing like Go-karting because you know that it's not physically possible to come hurtling down the pit straight with a fellow competitor, trying to pass him, whilst drifting in a test car.' Front engines don't do drifting unfortunately! Let's carry on this adventure and see how it unfolds...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put some words from your mind into mine...