Welcome to the Observation Blog

This is The Observation Blog. It is the window on the internet into the world of me, Jimmi Cottam. From the bizarre and strange to the true and delightful, here lies stuff that goes on around me. And this is my chance to get my opinion out there because anyone can write a blog and put it up on the internet. You could say this is what I do when I get bored but in some ways...wait, yeah. It is. But seriously, what are you waiting for? Go ahead and have a goosey...I'm not stopping you from seeing the broad spectrum of what an "ordinary" person sees and goes through day in and day out. Have fun and enjoy!

Sunday 14 March 2010

Driving - Getting a bit more advanced

Yes, the time had come for me to step back behind the wheel in the Silver Lining. Being picked up from a lazy day from school, this driving lesson would prove to give me a bit of adventure in what was so far a rather grim, grey, rainy March day, although after I got showed how to use the window wipers, it stopped raining. I got taken to a road, which for the time of the day, was rather empty and I swapped seats with Alan ready to continue where I left off.
I set off down a back road of Lincoln that I had rarely been down. It was full of long straights and winding corners, perfect for a learner driver to get to know the acceleration, deceleration, breaking and trickier turns compared to that of last week. This road also had a fair amount of potholes, some of which grounded my spine to bonedust, but needs be. I can't spin off the road into a tree just yet. I just bare with it and carry on. It also gave me an insight how to position the car on the road after getting way too close to verge and Alan just shoving me back over to centre up the car. I encountered some more junctions to get me used to braking and setting the clutch down, waiting for a lorry and Mirror, Signal and Manoeuvring. Since I didn't know this road particularly well, I didn't really know where I was going. The only places I recognised was a sign saying 'Whisby' and an A46 overpass where I did a bit of media filming. It opened up a whole new side of Lincoln out in the Sticks that I had no idea was there. I also didn't know that this road then lead onto the A46. And just like last week when he told me to drive down into a built up area, I suddenly was over come with shock - There was a roundabout at the end of this road; lorries, vans and cars thunder past at up to 60mph and I'm only on lesson 2. This didn't feel wise but I was in safe hands with my instructor and I carried on down to the roundabout, using 4th gear yet again. I'm liking this gear. I think it's my favourite of all the gears yet. The roundabout came and went with a bit of a quiver. Thank god that was done. I don't think I could have handled another roundabout that day...
I then went back down the built up area where I went the previous week, right down to the end main road. I got told to turn left, which sounded simple enough. And it would have been if I hadn't of indicated right. So, we'll pretend that didn't happen. I got told to go down to a rural area with speed bumps and a few more junctions. This then expanded into a section of Give Way islands and then onto a section that I did last week. I then continued down the main road I also covered last week, down to a set of traffic lights where I revised going over "Clutch down, brake, into first, hand break." Turning off this junction, I encountered a lot of stopping and starting, again showing the control of the accelerator, clutch and brake. This then went onto merge with 2 lanes of traffic. Last week I kept missing 3rd gear and shifting into 1st by mistake. At this point I thought I was over that, what with my gear changes getting smoother. WRONG! I shifted into 5th by mistake! How hard can it be? I'll get used to it as I go on, but 5th...No, not yet.
As the lesson went on I came across a bizarre set of traffic lights. First there's a pelican crossing and then not 20-or-so metres ahead of it was another set of lights. This meant the pelican lights could be green but the other lights could be red or even more annoyingly, the other way around. There's no logic! But luckily, I managed to get 2 greens and was through to turn right at the junction to find...oh crap...a red light. Looks like I'll have to wait after all.
Again, I then went into another built up area with more junctions and two buses, which are very scary when trying to through whilst I'm negotiating a corner as well. It feels very close but Alan says that the bus appears closer that it really is - in reality there's a lot of space. Although I don't want to take that risk, thinking I'll end up taking the rest of the route via ambulance or "mush of car/bus/person." Although, it was done safely and responsibly and no one ended up as mush. Finally out of the maze of streets I came a cropper yet again. To another dang roundabout, albeit, much smaller than the one before, but even more trickier because of cars wanting to pull out or not let a Learner through, although one man seemed to let me onto a very long queue of traffic. This queue would then lead me back to school. I got told to park; it didn't have to be perfect. So I aimed for a space and got told to stop.
I am getting better! Gear changes are smoother - I don't have to look down, I kinda know where they are now and hearing the engine note gives me a clear indication of when to shift rather than constantly looking at the revometer; I've stopped crossing my arms when steering, yet still hitting the right apex of corner and my road craft is also improving - knowing what to do at certain signs and how to attack corners with just the right amount of braking/lifting off the accelerator. It's all slowly going to come together like one big, happy, lethal jigsaw...(Either jigsaw will do. The puzzle or the powertool. Your choice)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put some words from your mind into mine...