Welcome to the Observation Blog

This is The Observation Blog. It is the window on the internet into the world of me, Jimmi Cottam. From the bizarre and strange to the true and delightful, here lies stuff that goes on around me. And this is my chance to get my opinion out there because anyone can write a blog and put it up on the internet. You could say this is what I do when I get bored but in some ways...wait, yeah. It is. But seriously, what are you waiting for? Go ahead and have a goosey...I'm not stopping you from seeing the broad spectrum of what an "ordinary" person sees and goes through day in and day out. Have fun and enjoy!

Friday 17 September 2010

Epiphany II

So, the band had stopped but it didn't mean I wasn't going to stop creating music. I love music. Music is awesome. I have since tried to broaden my horizons with music. It's such a good area to be involved in I think. This part of the epiphany started almost a year ago when I was offered a job.


The year was 2009. July, I think. I was a Sixth Former at North Kesteven just finishing my BTEC Music Technology course. One afternoon, I got taken aside by Mr Hird, the head of Music. He offered me a job of becoming the schools Assistant Studio Technician. Out of all the 7 people in the Music Tech group (I know, it was a lot), I got chosen to look after the studio. But that's not all it was. My main role was to make sure everything was working and everything was there. Not particually interesting. However, every Monday after 3 I had the opportunity to use the studio to its full potential. Since I worked until 4:30, I was required to record GCSE students for parts of thier course. And this was what kicked started this part and over the year I recorded many vocalists (good vocalists), electric, acoustic and bass guitarists, a flautist, a trombonist, keys, drums, violins, all sorts. Everyone liked being recorded by Jimmi. The studio's normal soundtech (my employer) had a very different method to me. He wanted it done stupidly quick. I didn't. For example, I brought the guitarists into the studio and let them change certain settings to how they wanted it to sound, rather than them telling me and letting me guess. I gave the instrumentalist an input, which for a studio (academical or otherwise) is essential. I may have engineered certain aspects but the sound is crucial for the performer. A quick soundcheck would be what was normally done and straight into a record. I soundchecked twice; one standard soundcheck and another runthrough soundcheck, because instrumentalists have a habbit of playing louder when being recorded than when they're being checked. I was friendly with everyone and they liked my laid back attitude. I was never really that strict, I kept a stern face and even if the performer wanted the moon, I could only try to work around them. "Thumbs up on record" I would say and they'd be off. I'd always end a recording with "rock n roll" just as a subtle hint of irony, especially if it was a showtune I was recording. It then hit me. "People like me doing this. I like the people. I know what I'm doing. I feel very comfortable. I love this creativity from the Year 11 students. I know I'm doing this as a job, but I could do this as a career..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put some words from your mind into mine...