Welcome to the Observation Blog

This is The Observation Blog. It is the window on the internet into the world of me, Jimmi Cottam. From the bizarre and strange to the true and delightful, here lies stuff that goes on around me. And this is my chance to get my opinion out there because anyone can write a blog and put it up on the internet. You could say this is what I do when I get bored but in some ways...wait, yeah. It is. But seriously, what are you waiting for? Go ahead and have a goosey...I'm not stopping you from seeing the broad spectrum of what an "ordinary" person sees and goes through day in and day out. Have fun and enjoy!

Friday 26 March 2010

Driving - Slightly more advanced than last week but a lot advanced than the week before

Lesson 5 behind the wheel started off okay. I pulled out of the parking space and the whole car park perfectly without no immediate danger. That was until I got to the end of the junction and I was told to drive straight on. I didn't. I turned left. Oh well, I fancied going around part of the route that I attempted 2 weeks ago relearning how to take on sweeping bends, tight corners and potholes. To be honest it wasn't a great start but a start none the less! Well, what to say for this then?
Actually, not a lot. I'm going to sound like I'm repeating myself through most of this adventure. I'm still keeping aware and I'm getting better at certain aspects. I also still missing out gears. And for the first time, they're starting to resist me shifting. I have to physically slam them into position. That's what they get if they don't co-operate. And when they resist and won't go in first time, I have to coast which (from what I've learned) is not a good idea. And then when I miss 4th for 2nd - which is very new to me - on dual carriage way with a lot of speedy traffic, it hits a nerve and you start to panic. A couple of weeks ago, I didn't like roundabouts. This week, I'm starting to accept them but now dual carriage ways with they're scary crosswinds and 70mph limits aren't my favourite Friend at the moment. That's said, one roundabout caught me a cropper when I got told to stay left. I got slightly confused and almost turned left at the roundabout without indicating. Normally throughout today I stayed on route and managed to pull off the roundabout thing with ease but that one crafty one just managed to find a weakness; something I'll have to work on...
But the main task for today was to be successfully be able to complete 1 manoeuvre: A turn in the road.
Alan bought out his laminated diagram of a road and took two toy cars out of the Silver Linings cup holder and explained how the task should be carried out, with the addition of a Ferrari waiting for me to show what another driver should do. Either wait or go. Then it was my turn in the real thing. Check mirrors, no need to signal, first gear, revs, mirrors again, look, look, look again, clutch to biting point, full right lock and edge up to the kerb. Then we put the handbrake on and do all that but in reverse. And then finally one more time before driving off (hence why it used to be called 'The Three Point Turn'). I did it seamlessly 4 times. I was quite proud of this. Reversing never felt so easy before. I think I'm going to like Reverse, probably more times than I like 3rd.
That was really it. The only other dangers that I found were birds and buses. I almost hit a very suicidal bird and after pulling out from behind a bus, I almost hit a brand new Jaguar XF which wouldn't have gone down very nicely with the driver. And yet again, things are becoming easier, I can't stress how easy they have gotten since lesson one. Even my reactions happen quicker for noticing hazards and whatnot; mirrors are becoming second nature; turning corners are smoother and I'm starting to remember to rev the engine before moving off on a standstill...Easy!
Next week I'm apparently doing reverse turns...which is good because I like reversing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put some words from your mind into mine...